Battery Systems Engineer
Company: Optimal CAE
Posted on: May 28, 2023
The Battery Systems Data Analyst Engineer will be responsible for
the development of battery data analytics and predictive system
engineering tools and application of these tools for design and
development of xEV Battery Systems. The candidate will take a
leading role in analyzing, mining, processing, and tracking the
increasing amount of battery test data generated from battery,
vehicle and fleet testing during the course of product development,
testing, and validation. The candidate will be involved in multiple
vehicle programs and deal with a broad range of data, i.e. cell
level, pack-level, vehicle-level, and fleet-level. The ideal
candidate is expected to be highly analytical, have experience in
data analysis/processing, and have some background in electrified
powertrain vehicles. The responsibilities include but not limited
- Develop, document the engineering requirements for automotive
traction battery systems. Lead other engineers and teams to balance
- Develop battery system usable energy walk system model by
taking account of all system factors in usable energy walk. Create
initial models, and develop the improvement plans and targets to
optimize the system usable energy.
- Develop and apply battery data analytics and predictive system
engineering tools (1D, simullink/matlab) for prediction and
verification of battery system performance and thermal.
- Develop battery usage profiles and mission profiles for battery
life modeling/ prediction/simulations and component designs for
durability and other applications.
- Analyze battery and vehicle usage data from Fleet Test Vehicles
to compare and validate battery life and performance models.
- Support development of appropriate battery usage history
statistics and their online recording
- Analyze critical battery performance during the entire product
lifecycle including: power and energy performance, battery life,
- Help develop tests as needed for verifying battery system
performance and execute product design improvements.
- Lead the data analysis activities and interpretation related to
battery field performance to guide requirements development and
- Provide technical expertise in investigation of system issues
and support root cause analysis and mitigation and corrective
action plans. Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Chemistry, Applied Physics,
Aerospace, Industrial, Systems, or Computer Engineering, or related
Engineering field from an ABET accredited, or ABET equivalent
- 3 years in product engineering design and development in
automotive industry with 2 years of experience in mathematical
modeling and data analysis/processing/mining
- Good understanding of Li-ion cell electrochemistry,
cell/battery life models and battery life behavior.
- Excellent Matlab scripting skills or other languages e.g.
- Knowledge of design of experiments, parameter fitting,
optimization, and data regression methods
- General knowledge of xEV Battery/BMS systems, xEV
- Demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability,
communication and interpersonal skills required to build
relationships and coach team members, and work with customers to
solve problems and resolve issues. Preferred Requirements:
- Master's degree in Engineering, as accredited by ABET or ABET
equivalent; other graduate level technical degrees in the specific
area of relevant specialty expertise may be considered.
- Minimum of 5 years in product engineering design and
development in automotive industry with 3 years working experience
in xEV technology applications and areas such as development of
battery storage systems, high voltage architecture development,
and/or electric powertrain components such as electric traction
motors & power electronics.
- Understanding of thermal system performance modeling as it
pertains to energy storage components
- Thorough knowledge of electrification technology functionality
and features on the system level.
- High Voltage training and advance battery design/development
experience is desirable.
- Experience in performance modeling with Matlab/Simulink,
COMSOL, GT-Suite and ANSYS.
- Experience using a disciplined system development process based
on ASPICE or CMMI model.
- Experience with DOORs, Canalyzer and Canape
- Knowledge of battery test methods and procedures
--- Strong proactive and reactive engineering problem solving
skills (including DFSS, Kepner Tregoe, 8D, 5Why, etc.)
Keywords: Optimal CAE, Auburn , Battery Systems Engineer, Other , Auburn, Washington
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...